History of Lords of the Manor
Lords of the Manor dates back to around 1649. It was originally a much smaller house which has been added to and altered over the years. The Slaughter family (originally Sclostre meaning “a slough or muddy place”), purchased the Manor from Henry VIII. It was later occupied by Ferdinando Tracy Travell, whose portrait hangs on the first floor landing, and a coat-of-arms is incorporated into the decoration of the Drawing Room fireplace.
In 1808, the house passed to his nephew, the Reverend Francis Edward Witts. The Witts family were the first Rectors, and then Lords of Upper Slaughter. When the Reverend E. F. Witts died, he was succeeded by his son, the Reverend Canon Francis Edward Broome Witts. “Broome” is a minor corruption of “broom”, the plant (Latin “planta genista”) which gave its name to the Plantagenet Kings of England. They wore a sprig of broom in their helmets in battle and its association with the Witts and Upper Slaughter is commemorated in the family crest over the porch by the sprig of broom in the eagle’s beak.
In 1913, F.E. Broome Witts was succeeded by his son, Major Edward Francis Broome Witts D.S.O., who served in the First World War. Major Witts returned safely, in fact, Upper Slaughter is one of only 14 ‘doubly thankful’ towns or villages in Britain, referring to the fact that it lost no men in either WW1 OR WW2.
Throughout the Second World War, the property was occupied by the Army. During this time, the front porch was damaged by an army vehicle, evidence of which can still be seen.
In 1972, the Manor was converted into a hotel, by Major General Witts’ son, Francis Witts, who still lives in Upper Slaughter. Privately managed by Francis Witts and his cousins until 1985, the hotel was then sold to James Gulliver and the Gulliver family then sold the hotel in February 1997.
The Lords of the Manor remains a privately owned Cotswolds hotel and has been a “second home” to the Munir family since 1997. They have continued to invest substantially in the House and Gardens during this time, restoring it to the beautiful condition you find it in today. The latest development is the addition of a herb garden.